Surviving on a student budget will have you shaking in your stockings. With the festive season around the corner, you may be hoping for a few extra months to prepare. But don’t get your tinsel in a tangle. Live your best life this holiday season without breaking the bank. Learn all about Money Saving Tips for Students This Festive Season right here.
How to Save Money This Festive Season
Tis’ the season to save big. No need to lock yourself up and avoid the joys this holiday season has in store for you. There are many ways you can save as a student. Find out how you can curb spending and effectively use your income.
Skip Fast Food, Eat in
Eating at restaurants can become expensive over time. One meal at a restaurant could be enough to sustain you for a few days. Making your own meals allows you to cut costs and save.
Don’t Splurge on Gifts
Avoid splurging on expensive gifts by shopping at thrift stores or keep an eye out for bargains. Don’t worry, your loved ones will love the gift. After all, it’s the thought that counts.
Buy Second-hand Textbooks
Why buy the same textbook at a higher price? Second-hand textbooks are in great conditions and a lot cheaper. We, at Skills Academy, even include the costs of textbooks in our fees.
Take a Walk
The holiday season is filled with a lot of fun in the sun and lazing on the beach. So instead of taking the car or bus, get some exercise and save on travelling costs by walking instead.
Sell What you Don’t Need
Got some old clothes or textbooks gathering dust? Why not sell them instead of having it laying around? There many online or thrift stores you can sell it to and make a quick buck.
Budget Your way Through the Festive Season
Budgeting is the most effective way to save, not only in the festive season, but throughout the year. It allows you to keep track of all your money, making sure you don’t waste money on things you don’t need. Writing it down allows you to have more control over your spending. Top tips for smart budgeting includes:
- Setting up a weekly and a monthly budget
- Making a list of all your expenses
- Paying off all your bills at the beginning of the month
- Having a set amount of money to use each week, e.g, traveling, food, water bills
- Keeping money aside for emergencies or unexpected events
How to make sure you stick to your budget:
- Put your budget somewhere you can see it daily
- Don’t use your debit card, use cash instead
- Avoid making debt, pay everything once-off
- Buy cheaper, generic products
Use Student Discounts to Your Advantage
There are a lot of benefits of being a student you can use outside of the classroom walls. From half-priced entry to discounts on drinks. All you need is your student card and you can bag your bargain. Take advantage of these discounts over the festive season.
- Pay Nemo a visit for less than half the price at the Two Oceans Aquarium
- Cut the cost and enjoy the view on the Table Mountain Cable Car
- Smell the roses with a student discount at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
- Take a trip and save with Greyhound
- Student discounts at the touch of a button with the Varsity Vibes app
Please note: You need to be a South African student to use your student discount.
Get a Holiday Job
In order to save, you need to make an income. Along with the festive vibes, there are also many jobs on demand this holiday season. Many industries are in their peak season, and need staff to even out the workload and keep customers happy. Work part-time by getting a job in:
Retail – Step into the queue with a job in retail. Keep up with the fast pace of the festive season by becoming a cashier, sales assistant or sales manager.
If you don’t want an official job, you can always get a side hustle that will earn you money this festive season.
Save Money With College Benefits
Imagine studying with a college that has benefits included in its study fees. Sounds too good to be true? Well you can get all that and more with us. At Skills Academy, we offer exclusive benefits to all our students, at no added cost. These include
- Study faster, pay less
- Textbooks cost are included in your course fees
- Online study groups offering help and support
- Skilled tutors ready to help you every step of the way
Save With us This Silly Season
Gift yourself by studying a course with us. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to gain valuable skills from the comfort of your home. Learn the skills that will make this holiday season the most memorable one yet. Contact our consultant for more details. You can:
- Call us on 0800 39 00 27
- Fill in our contact form for a call back