Thinking of applying for internships? Internships can be a great stepping stone into the work environment. Before making your decision you need to explore all possibilities. Here is the full breakdown on Internships: Pros and Cons.
Internships: What you Need to Know
Internships are training students or recent graduates get in a company in return for little or sometimes no money. The goal of this is to get some hands on experience which comes in handy in future when applying for jobs. Here are internships:pros and cons
The advantages of internships are:
- Experience: Almost all jobs these days want candidates to have some form of experience. This experience will also boost confidence and self-esteem.
- Networking: As an intern you will meet people in the industry and be able to interact with people in different positions. You know what they say, it’s not what you know, but who.
- Get in With the Company: If the company you are interning with are satisfied with your performance it could lead to a possible job opportunity.
- Learning: You will learn new skills on the job skills which will become helpful later in your career.
The disadvantages of internships are:
- Little or no Stipend: As an intern you will be earning a stipend which might not cover your basic needs.
- No Guarantee of a job: The ultimate goal is to be employed by the company you are interning at, but there is no guarantee this will happen. You might feel like you wasted your time.
- Given Unimportant Work: Most interns get the unimportant work to complete, like getting coffee or stapling documents. This does not add to your learning or experience.
- Time: Internships require you to sacrifice your time. Time which you may not have. If you are interested in studying and doing an internship why not try distance learning?
These are some of the things to consider when applying for internships. One of the greatest values of internships is that you get work experience. However, you do not necessarily need to do an internship for this. You could apply for a full-time job whilst studying.
Now, that you have looked at internships: pros and cons, you can make an informed choice. The greatest setback about internships is that they take up time and do not pay much money. However, with Skills Academy you can apply for both an internship or full-time job, gain valuable experience and money, all while studying. How? With distance learning.
Distance learning gives you the opportunity to schedule your studies around your time. So while that internship may require your time you can always find the time to study. For more on this read here. Distance learning is a great alternative if you really need to earn money and experience, but still value your education. Here are some reasons you should study with us:
- Schedule your studies on your time – there is no fixed schedule you must follow.
- Study from the comfort of your own home
- Gain valuable work experience while earning money and obtaining a qualification
- Give credibility to your CV with a qualification from us
With your internship experience and obtaining official training from us your work opportunities will expand for sure.
Upgrade Your Skills. Contact us Today.
Contact us today and one of our friendly consultants will be happy to assist. Take the next step into your future.
- Complete our online registration form
- Call us on our toll-free number at 0800 39 0027