Report Writing is the use of writing skills for a specific purpose, audience and context. Successful writers follow a process when creating their masterpieces. There are a series of steps when producing a text. These steps are equally important in making sure their work achieves its purpose. By following these steps correctly, you will produce compelling and valuable reports which comprehensively inform the reader.
Reports are forms of writing which are highly structured. These texts often follow conversations which are laid down in a format which highlights the important points of the conversation. The structure stresses the process by which the information was gathered as much as the information itself. This means that your source quality should be just as high as your texts.
The key concepts covered in this module are:
- Planning the writing (identifying the readers, the purpose of the writing, and the context of the writing).
- Gathering and organizing ideas and information.
- Editing, revising and redrafting the writing.
- Establishing your purpose in writing.
- Writing in a reader-centred way.
- Writing in different contexts.