There are some colleges and universities that offer Business Administration courses in South Africa. However, there are many other colleges that offer courses that focus on various aspects of Business Administration.
What is Business Administration?
Business Administration is a slightly broader term and field than Business Management. Business Administration is a broad overview of all aspects of a business. Once you have the broader view you can specialise in a specific field. You can specialise in things like Office Management, Financial Management, Marketing Management, Accounting, or even Business Management. These courses can give you great qualifications and a broad range of skills.
What Courses can I Study?
There are many different courses to study. Many colleges offer provider programmes. These are programmes that are designed and presented by the colleges themselves. Some colleges also offer courses such as the ICB courses.
Skills Academy is an accredited partner of the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB). This means that Skills Academy is allowed to offer the different courses provided by the ICB. The ICB has five paths you can study namely Financial Accounting, Office Administration, Public Sector Accounting, Entrepreneurship, and Business Management. You can see a brief overview of these courses below:
ICB Financial Accounting Courses
Financial Accountants collect and analyse information about every transaction a company makes. Financial Accountants also create financial reports. These reports are publically available. They are available to the media, employees, investors, and even competitors. The ICB Financial Accounting courses are:
- ICB National Certified Junior Bookkeeper
- ICB FET Certificate: Bookkeeping (Certified Senior Bookkeeper)
- ICB National Diploma: Technical Financial Accounting
- ICB National Diploma: Financial Accounting
To start this study stream you will have to have at least grade 10. However, you don’t need to have any accounting knowledge or experience.
ICB Entrepreneurship Courses
Entrepreneurship has to do with everything that goes into starting your own business. As an entrepreneur, you will have to manage every part of your business in the beginning. The ICB offers three Entrepreneurship courses.
The ICB Entrepreneurship courses are:
- ICB National Certificate: Small Business Financial Management (Entrepreneurship)
- ICB Higher Certificate: Office Administration (Entrepreneurship)
- ICB National Diploma: Financial Accounting (Entrepreneurship)
To being the Entrepreneurship study stream you will need to have grade 11.
ICB Public Sector Accounting Courses
Public Sector Accountants investigate fraud in various government departments, do tax audits, and generally help to keep the government running smoothly. The ICB Public Sector Accounting courses that you can study are:
- ICB National Certificate: Public Sector Accounting
- ICB Diploma: Public Sector Accounting
- ICB National Diploma: Public Sector Accounting
This study stream only requires you to have grade 11 to start.
ICB Business Management Courses
Business Management is needed in absolutely every business. Business Managers make sure that businesses function and operate properly. Business Managers do things like hiring and training staff. The ICB Business Management courses that you can do are:
- ICB National Certificate: Small Business Financial Management (Business Management)
- ICB National Diploma: Financial Accounting (Business Management)
- ICB Higher Certificate: Office Administration (Business Management)
You will need to have at least your grade 11 qualification to start studying this stream.
ICB Office Administration Courses
Office Administrators are involved in the day-to-day running of any office. They do things like organising, scheduling, ordering supplies, and much more. The ICB Office Administration courses are:
- ICB National Certificate: Office Administration (Junior Office Admin)
- ICB Diploma: Office Administration (Certified Office Manager)
- ICB Higher Certificate: Office Administration (Office Admin)
For this study stream, you will need to have grade 12 before you can start.
Skills Academy Provider Programmes
Skills Academy also has many different Business Administration related courses that you can study. Below is a list of the Business Administration related courses that Skills Academy has to offer.
Customer Relations Management Courses
Customer Relations Management focusses on the interaction between a company and its clients or customers. Without good customer relations, a company will not be able to grow or succeed. Skills Academy offers the following Customer Relations Management courses:
- Short Course in Customer Relations Management
- Certificate in Customer Relations Management
- Comprehensive Certificate in Customer Relations Management
Supply Chain and Logistics Courses
Supply Chain and Logistics management has to do with the flow and transport of products or services. It also deals with things like the storage of products and the raw materials needed to create products. Skills Academy offers three courses in this field:
Small Business Management Courses
Every business needs to be managed correctly but there is a difference between managing a small business and a large business. There are many different skills that are required to effectively manage a small business. There are three Skills Academy courses that can give you these skills namely:
- Small Business Management Short Course
- Small Business Management Certificate Course
- Small Business Management Comprehensive Certificate Course
Financial Management Courses
Financial Management is about making sure that a company’s money is handled correctly. It also ensures that every transaction a company makes is legal. A company’s finances have to be effectively used to achieve the goals of the the company. The three provider programmes Skills Academy offers are:
Office Management Courses
Office Management focuses on the day to day running of an office. This includes things like normal secretarial duties as well as managing the office itself by making sure everything runs smoothly. At Skills Academy you can study the following three provider programs in this field:
- Short Course Certificate in Office Management
- Proficiency Certificate in Office Management
- Comprehensive Certificate in Office Management
Human Resource Management Courses
The most valuable asset that any company has is its people. If the a company’s people are unhappy then the company will not succeed. This is why it is so important to make sure that a company has good management when it comes to its staff. There are three provider programmes in this field on offer at Skills Academy.
Production and Operations Management Courses
Production and Operations Management deals with the creation of products. It has to do with managing the entire process of production from the start, the input of the raw materials, to the end, the output of the finished products.
- Production and Operations Management Short Course
- Certificate in Production and Operations Management
- Comprehensive Certificate in Production and Operations Management
General Management Courses
A manager is usually responsible for one department whereas a General Manager is responsible for all the departments of a company. This means that they need a wide range of skills and knowledge to be able to perform their duties effectively.
Sales Management Courses
This is a field that focusses on the management of the sales team and sales strategies to achieve a company’s sales goals. Skills Academy offers three courses in this field.
- Short Course in Sales Management
- Proficiency Certificate in Sales Management
- Comprehensive Certificate in Sales Management
Call Centre Management Courses
Call center management has to do with the way a manages the daily operations of the call center. This includes things like training, customer interaction, reporting and scheduling.
Retail Management Courses
Retail Management is all about selling a product to customers. It covers everything from getting customers into the store to the customer finding what they want and leaving the store satisfied.
- Short Course in Retail Management
- Proficiency Certificate in Retail Management
- Comprehensive Certificate in Retail Management
Marketing Management Courses
Marketing Management is all about the development of strategies and plans to increase the advertising and sales related to a company.
Security and Risk Management Courses
This is all about analysing risks and creating plans to prevent them as well as minimising risk. This could be from risks involved with resources to cybersecurity.
- Short Course in Security and Risk Management
- Security And Risk Management Proficiency Certificate
- Security And Risk Management Comprehensive Certificate
Skills Academy Provider Programmes Entry Requirements
The best thing about these programmes is that they all have the same entry requirements. All you need to begin studying any of the short courses is:
- Grade 10
- You must be at least 16 years old
- You must be able to read and write in English.
How do I Sign up for These Courses?
If you are interested in registering for any of these courses, call Skills Academy toll-free on 0800 39 00 27. One of our consultants will help you to register. Start your journey towards your dream career today!
Written by: Clifford Ekron
Last updated: April 18, 2019