We’ve all been there, and no matter how many times you are faced with it, it never gets easier. While you’re on the search for your next full-time job, you will have to find a way to get an income. Luckily, there are ways to earn money when unemployed.
Scary Fact – Unemployment in South Africa is High
By November 2020, the unemployment rate increased. Significantly. Currently, over 11 million people in South Africa are unemployed. The unemployment rate rose between April and March, when over 2 million people lost their jobs during this period.
What No-One Tells You About Unemployment
If you’ve recently lost your job, there are a few things you need to be aware of. Being unemployed will definitely be the most stressful time of your life.
Self-Doubting is the Order of the Day
At the beginning of unemployment you might seem positive about your job search. But after applying or during the process of applying for jobs you will start to doubt yourself, your abilities, qualifications and whether or not you are in the right industry.
Job Search is Expensive
This is something people fail to mention. The costs when applying for jobs can add up. Expenses when job searching include:
- Internet or data to apply for jobs and checking emails daily
- Money to buy newspapers to check the classified section
- CV and other documents that need to be printed and scanned
- Taxi fare to attend interviews or for CV drop offs
- Airtime to respond to calls, follow up or enquire about jobs
Time is Money
You have all the time in the world now, so spend it wisely. Yes, do the things you couldn’t have done while you had a full-time job, but don’t fall into the trap of watching TV all day. Get up early, do your chores and put some time aside to learn something new. Maybe fix that cupboard door that’s been bothering you for so long.
Ways to Make Money While Unemployed
Being unemployed doesn’t mean you can’t earn money. You may not have a fixed income, but there are ways to earn money when unemployed.
Apply For Social Grants
If you have no source of income and you’re not receiving any other social grants from the government, then you can apply for a Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant. Alternatively, you could apply for the Child Support Grant if you have children in your care.
Sell Your Unwanted Goods
They may be items that are unwanted by you, but chances are that someone could really need them. There are so many platforms out there where you can sell stuff you no longer need in your life. This is a great way to get rid of the clutter and make money.
Offer Child Care Services
The start of the school year has been pushed back further. That means people will need reliable and caring individuals to look after their children. You could offer child care services to parents in your area at a price. Make sure that the child is safe in your care.
Do you have reliable transportation? Turn your vehicle into your source of income. Offer a private ride-sharing service to people in your area and drive them to work and back. Or you could apply to work for Uber or Bolt.
Cash in on Waste
Take a look at the items in your trash can or even in your home. There are items there you can take to buy-back and waste management centres that will pay you for recyclable goods. Items you can take to these spots include:
- Beverage cans
- High and low density plastic
- Food cans
- Plastic bottles and caps
- Electronic equipment
Bake Your Way to Success
Food and sweet treats play a huge role in our culture. Have you gotten any compliments on the treats you’ve made? Then maybe it is time to share the deliciousness with others and charge a fee for your services.
Get a Delivery Job
Make use of your driver’s licence or even your vehicle. There are courier companies and retailers who need to get things delivered. During high season, they often need an extra pair of wheels to help them deliver goods.
Rent Your Space
Do you have an extra room in your house or vacant granny flat? You could rent out the space and earn some money. There are always people looking to rent spaces, and chances are you could be the solution to their problems.
Do Part-Time Work
Consider temporary or part-time jobs. Since you are still on the lookout for something permanent, consider something that will give you a flexible schedule. This way, you can still attend interviews and earn money.
Inexpensive Luxuries to Enjoy During Unemployment
Oftentimes people forget their worth when they become unemployed or earn less than they’re used to. It is important that you remind yourself of your worth. Here are inexpensive luxuries you can enjoy:
- Practice Breathing Techniques – Therapy is another expense you unfortunately can’t afford right now. You can practice breathing exercises to calm mild effects of stress and anxiety. If this doesn’t work, you can call The South African Depression And Anxiety Group.
- Exercise – Forget expensive gym memberships and the extra costs that come with going to gym. Create your own makeshift gym at home. Now is the perfect time to create healthy and good habits. Why not go for a jog or walk every morning?
- Join the Library – Yes, buying books is expensive. But do you know where you can rent books for free? The library. Get excited about reading again and discover new genres and titles.
- Visit the park – Enjoy a relaxing day at your local park. You can just go there when things get too much and you need fresh air. Not sure what to do at the park? You could always take the books you got from the library, and read.
- Get Some rest – Make up for all those times you had to wake up early for work. Get your well-deserved rest. Sleep in a little late, take an afternoon nap. Unemployment and everything that comes with it can be exhausting.
Skills Academy is the word support in every way.
Why not turn your new side hustle into a career? Learn all there is to know about running a business and more with short courses or other qualifications. Speak to a course consultant to get started today.
- Call us for free on 0800 39 00 27
- Or fill out this contact form for a call back