At some point in our lives, we’ve all been part of a presentation. But what if the roles were reversed and you find yourself in front of the crowd? Don’t stress, our tips on giving a great presentation will help you put your best foot forward.
Tips on Giving a Great Presentation
Presentations are extremely important. They play a role in your course, all the way to your career. It has many purposes and is a versatile way to provide information. If you would like to become a pro, use our tips on giving a great presentation below.
Not everyone likes addressing a crowd. But if you’re nervous, you’ll end up forgetting your words and making mistakes. Take a deep breath, stay calm and enjoy the moment.
Grab Their Attention
Set the tone of your presentation with a great opening. Whether it’s a joke, story or statement, make sure you start on a high note. You’ll get everyone excited for the show.
Get Excited to Present Your Work
You need to be hyped up and have a positive energy during your presentation. We’re not saying you should jump around, but your enthusiasm will create a positive atmosphere for everyone.
With a larger group of people, you need to ensure that everyone can hear you. You could get a mic which will help everyone hear and enjoy what you’ve prepared.
Your presentation should flow like a story. It needs to have a clear beginning, middle and end. The flow of your presentation will help everyone understand and follow along.
Engage With Your Audience
Let’s face it, a boring presentation will leave everyone daydreaming about the tasks for the day. Engage with everyone by asking questions, telling a joke or using various media.
Keep it Short and Sweet
Speaking for hours and having a ton of slides is a recipe for disaster. Keep your presentation to less than 10 slides. Also, you can use a watch to stick to your time limit.
Stick to the Goal
Avoid overwhelming your audience with too much information. Sticking to the goal will help you focus on that which is important. This will help everyone grasp the aim of what you’re presenting.
Be Prepared for Questions
Got a few hands up? That’s great! It shows everyone is engaged and wants to know more. When they’re asking questions, you need to be prepared to give them the answers they need.
Planning Your Presentation
Before you step into the spotlight, you need to prepare all your information and plan ahead. Below are a few guidelines that will help you plan a great presentation.
- Do Your Research – Solving a problem or providing information? Ensure that you do all your research. It will help you stick to your goal.
- Round up Your Resources – Prepare your PowerPoint slides and posters well in advance. These resources will support the information in your presentation.
- Steer Clear of Technical Difficulties – To avoid any technical issues, have a trial run with all your digital devices. Keep a backup of all your resources just in case.
- Practice Makes Perfect – Practicing your presentation is a great way to prepare for the big day. Take this chance to perfect your speech and time yourself in front of the mirror.
- Get Set up Ahead to Time – If you have a big presentation planned, set up before anyone arrives. You’ll avoid running around and be well prepared.
Study our Business English Course
Need to take your presentation skills up a notch? Then our Business English Course is what you need. You’ll learn how to present your information, as well as a range of other skills. This includes verbal and written communication. And the best part? You can study without matric.
Skills Academy is the word support in every way.