You have heard this a thousand times over – choosing a college is one of the most important things you will do. Wow – the pressure! There are things to consider when choosing a college, which will hopefully make your choice a little easier.
Top Factors to Consider When Choosing a College
So you have made up your mind and decided that studying further is in your best interest. What’s next? Deciding where your learning will be taking place. There are many factors to consider.
Academic Courses Available
Yes, college has a lot to do with socializing, but the main reason you will be attending is to learn. This is why you must research the courses available at an institution and find out if they offer something that fits your interest. You must also have a look at the entry requirements for these courses. The entry requirements will differ depending on which course and college you are applying at.
Finances can be a big setback when it comes to studying further. Find out what your course fees will be and if your course material is covered in this. Some colleges will have convenient payment plans. It is important that you get all this information so you budget to pay for college.
Where a college is situated could influence a lot. If you are thinking of relocating elsewhere to study you could end up giving out extra money on travelling and residential costs. You might not want to move away at all and want to study from home. Look into all your options.
Qualifications from accredited colleges are more credible in the professional world. Check The Department of Higher Education’s site to see if the college you want to attend is accredited. This will save you a lot of trouble.
Where you attend school will depend on the career path you want to venture in. Some colleges specialise in certain courses and others offer a wide range of options. If you want to go into research then you might have to enrol into university.
If you are a working student you need to check how accommodating the colleges you are looking at are to your schedule. Will you be able to find the time to study and work?
Will there be tutors, teaching assistants and online support available to you? To succeed in your studies you must have a space to connect with other students and tutors to discuss work and any concerns you may have.
Most colleges will have testimonies of previous students on their website. Having a look at these personal stories will give you a better idea of what studying at that institution will be like.
These are just some of the factors that will help in choosing a college. Consider which points are more important to you and then make your decision based on that.
Why is it Important to Choose the Right College?
You might be asking yourself, is this decision really that important? The answer is yes. Here ‘s why:
- Employers look at the college you attended to see if you are work-ready.
- Accredited colleges are viewed as more credible in the professional world.
- If the college you study at has a bad reputation people will not take your qualifications seriously.
- Some colleges focus on preparing you for the work environment which makes you more appealing to potential employers.
These are a few reasons why you should research colleges before making any final decisions.
Colleges to Choose From
Before choosing a college to study at you must know what your options are. There are many ways to get an education:
- Location Bound Colleges: These are colleges where you will have to attend class and be on campus. Your schedule will be fixed and often you will receive marks on your attendance.
- Online Colleges: Here learning takes place online. Some Colleges will expect you to come into class at allocated times. This will usually be a scheduled week each term.
- Distance Learning Colleges: Just as online colleges, distance learning also happens online. However, there is no need to attend class at all. Your schedule will be more flexible allowing you to work while studying.
Skills Academy is a recognized distance learning college that offers a wide variety of courses. We have everything from events planning, photography right to ICB Courses. When it comes to picking the right college we are your best bet. Here’s why:
- Study from the comfort of your own home.
- Open admissions
- No extra costs – your course material is covered in your course fees.
- Online Support
- Official training from us will make your CV more credible.
We prioritize the success of our students and will make sure you complete your course successfully and in time.
Make the Right Choice. Choose Skills Academy.
Choose a college that cares about your success. We will be there with you every step of the way. Contact us today – we are eager to assist.
- Complete our online registration form
- Call us on our toll-free number at 0800 39 0027
Author: Andrea Petersen
Last Updated: July 02, 2020