Your second chance starts now. Get the marks you know you deserve. Here’s everything you need to know about the Supplementary Exams 2020.
Preparing for Supplementary Exams
Supplementary exams are usually scheduled in June. But, this year has been an extraordinary one with many dates having to be rescheduled as a result of the national lockdown. The Supplementary exams for 2020 will now be conducted in November. To prepare use the tips listed below:
Identify Your Weak Areas
Your superpower is that you’ve been through this before. Use it to your advantage. Identify what your weak areas are and work on these more. When setting up your study schedule, prioritise extra time for those areas.
Review the Syllabus
The chances are that you still remember some of the coursework you’ve done in previous years. However, it’s still a good idea to go through the entire textbook for the subjects you’ll be writing again. This is a good way to refresh your memory.
Ask for Help
Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Ask for assistance whenever you don’t understand concepts. Your teachers, tutors and fellow students will always be happy to assist. You can also join online study groups to discuss the work.
Practice makes perfect and past papers are perfect for this. Test your knowledge and get familiar with the structure of the paper. Once you’ve completed the past papers, have a look at the memo to see the answers.
Revise your work daily. Your long-term memory is more effective than your short-term memory. Do small sections of work daily to retain the knowledge better. This way you’ll also feel less overwhelmed.
Supplementary Exams vs Rewriting Your Matric
Wondering what the difference between supplementary exams are and simply rewriting your matric? You can apply to write supplementary exams within a year of completing matric. However, if you’ve been out of school for 5 years or longer you must apply to redo your matric. There are some options that are very convenient for working adults who wish to do their matric. They are:
To enrol for these you must be 21 years or older.
How do I Know if I Qualify for a Supplementary Exam?
Not sure if you meet the requirements to apply for supplementary exams? Unfortunately the applications for Supplementary exams 2020 have been closed, but have a look at the new admission dates on the Department of Education website. Have a look at the checklist below.
- If you did not pass Grade 12 but need to pass 2 subjects to obtain your NSC.
- You were medically unfit or had another special reason for being absent for an exam.
- The instance of a death in your immediate family, you may register for the supplementary examination.
- If you provide evidence that you qualify for admission to a higher education institution/occupation but do not satisfy the requirements.
- You are one requirement short in meeting the minimum admission requirements for higher certificate, diploma and bachelor degree programs, you can register for supplementary exams.
- In a case where an irregularity is being investigated, provisional enrollment for supplementary examination may be granted, pending the outcome of the investigation.
- You were unable to write or complete one or more of the National Senior Certificate examination question papers for reasons other than illness or injury.
How do I Register for a Supplementary Exam?
It’s best to get started as soon as possible on the registration process for supplementary exams. Follow the steps below:
- Contact the Department of Education, via your school.
- Applications usually close in January. But avoid any further stress and register as soon as possible, after receiving your results.
- Keep an eye on the media releases posted on the Department of Education website
Supplementary Exams Past Papers
Looking for matric study resources? Look no further. Get access to matric past papers here. Go through these and get a feel for the structure of the exam.
The Benefits of Past Papers
- Get familiar with the structure of the exam
- Identify your weaknesses
- Zone in on focus areas
- Practice answering questions
With all these tools right at your fingertips, there’s no reason you shouldn’t reach your study goals.
Supplementary Exams 2020 Timetable
On the 23rd of February when results are released, we’re sure you want to join in on the celebration. Download your Supplementary Exams 2020 Timetable here. Use this to find the right time to study. Don’t let this second chance go to waste. You can do this.
Get the Marks you Deserve!
Thinking of furthering your studies? We offer affordable, quality education to all. Get in touch on the following;
- Call us on 0800 39 00 27 – it’s free
- Or fill out a contact form for a call back