Plan ahead to get ahead. While the job market may be a little gloomy right now, don’t sit back and wait for things to happen. Instead make it happen by using our “planning for post-covid careers” guideline.
What to Consider When Career Planning Post-Covid
Before making any drastic decisions and changes to your career, there are a few things you must consider. The work environment has changed.
Listed below are some of the elements you should consider when planning for post-covid careers:
- Informal Learning Process
- Changed Working Practices
- Identify Skill Gaps
- Consider a Career Reboot or Change
Informal Learning Process
To succeed you must start considering if you are capable of learning and mentoring in a more informal way. Most work is now being done remotely. So employers are looking for workers who can be trained informally.
Changed Working Practices
Most people are expected to work from home. If you are someone who thrives in an office space filled with other people, then you need to start learning how to work independently. The future of work is looking more isolated and remote.
Identify Skill Gaps
Are you tech savvy and able to take on more duties than required? These are all skills that will be useful in post covid careers. You should be able to navigate yourself around a computer and communicate effectively via email, zoom and other apps.
Consider a Career Reboot or Change
This may be the perfect chance to have a look at your career options. Use this opportunity as a chance to get skilled or even start your own business. While it may be a confusing time for all, you can still be proactive.
Skills Needed to Survive Your Career Post Covid
More than ever, employers need workers with initiative, creativity and drive. Make sure you are future-proof by focusing on the following skills:
- Adaptability and Flexibility: With the rate things are changing, you need to be able to keep up. Show you are enthusiastic and ready for change by updating yourself on current work trends.
- Tech Savviness: To survive the current remote working environment, you must be tech savvy. Do you know your way around a computer? If not, consider learning the basics with a computer course.
- Creativity and Innovation: Can you think outside of the box? If you answered no, don’t worry. There are courses available that can boost your creativity.
- Data Literacy: For this you will need some training in maths or statistics. Data literacy is the ability to communicate data and interpret the information.
- Critical Thinking: Employers are looking for workers who can solve problems, think on their feet and contribute to the effectiveness of a team.
- Leadership: To carry us out into a post covid future, we need a work force filled with people who can lead. Don’t think you have what it takes yet? Do a management course.
- Emotional Intelligence: Covid has hit us all hard. Workers need to be patient, empathetic and conduct themselves professionally in the workplace.
- Commit to a Lifetime of Learning: The truth is, no one knows what the future holds. The best way to secure your career is to use skill stacking to your advantage. This will require lifelong learning on your part.
Career Options Post Covid
If you’re considering a career change or you’ve just finished matric, the career options below are good opportunities to survive the pandemic. Despite covid these industries have still managed to grow.
- Digital Marketing
- Business Analysts
- Sales Management
- Creative Sectors
Plan Your Next Step With us
Secure your future and study with us. We have distance learning courses you can pick and choose from. Contact us on:
- Call us for free on 0800 39 00 27
- Or fill out this contact form for a call back