What to Study
What is a Web Developer?
Simply put, a Web Developer is a person who creates a website. People often confuse a Web Developer with a Web Designer. A Web Designer is the person who makes your website look good. A Web Developer is the person responsible for how the website functions.
For example, say a website was a gadget. An Apple iPhone, perhaps. How the phone looks would be the job of a Web Designer. The slickness, where the camera and buttons are positioned, all of the aesthetics.
Now, how the phone works is determined by the web designer. The quality of the images it takes, how fast it takes them, the storage space. All of those functions would be created by a web developer.
Benefits of Being a Web Developer
- It pays really well. Web Developers are currently amongst the highest paid professionals in South Africa right now.
- There will always be a need for a Web Developer. Sustainability is always the best thing to look for when choosing a career. You want something that will still be in demand 50 years from now.
- It is extremely satisfying. You have the creative freedom of building a website the way you like, on your terms.
- It allows you to work from home. Recently, working from home has become very popular and a preferred method because it saves time and money. A lot of companies are open to this way of doing business.
- Chances of you landing a job within a short period of time after you’ve gained the skills needed are HUGE. This is because web developers are in high demand.
How Much do Web Developers Earn
Just like any other job, how much you make is dependent on your experience as well as the company you work for, how big it is and where it’s located. According to Glassdoor, an average salary for web developer in Cape Town is R32 500 a month. In Johannesburg you are looking at an average of R27 000 monthly.
How to Become a Web Developer
So, you are wondering where to get the education to be able to learn these languages? Well, good news! Skills Academy offers courses that will teach you all the fundamentals of web development. These courses can be finished in as little as 3 months to 12 months time. You will save yourself 4 years of doing a university course because here at Skills Academy we understand that time is money. The less you spend it, the more you save.
Can you Become a Web Developer With no Experience.
The answer is yes. However, landing a job without any experience in companies may prove to be difficult. Clients will be trusting you to build a website for them. They need to know that you can REALLY do the job and do it well. But, don’t worry about never being able to land a job.
Because this job is so versatile, you can create your own work by starting out as a freelancer. Or developing your own websites that are functional for your portfolio. Portfolios are essential when you are just starting out. It will be a great way to back you up that you can actually point and reference to.
Skills You Need to Become a Web Developer
So at this point, you know what a Web Developer is, what are the benefits of being one, how much do they earn and how to become one. Now you are probably wondering what skills you need to become a Web Developer. Have a look below:
- Creativity. Coding is an art. It demands you let out your inner creative genius and develop a website from scratch.
- Attention to detail. This job requires you to sit down for longer periods of time refining your code for the website you are creating.
- Customer service orientated. You need to know how to handle your client’s queries and because they can be tedious and repetitive, you need to remain cheery at all times.
- Ability to learn faster. Web development is ever changing and you will need to be able to learn anything new faster.
Author: Ncebakazi Stoto
Last Updated: May 7, 2020