Do you have a knack for designing indoors? Someone who loves mixing up colors, textures and fabrics to brighten up a room and bring it to life? Then Interior Design Careers may be what you need to look at. Read on to get more understanding of what these careers are.
Careers in the Interior Design Field
What Exactly are Interior Design Careers?
As the name suggests, Interior Design Careers involve the designing of interior space to make it beautiful and functional. Take a look at the room you are in, how the furniture is positioned, the spaces in between, the kind of furniture, carpets, wallpapers and wall arts, lighting etc. All of that is a result of interior design and decorating.
Anyone can design and decorate a room. But it takes passion and acquired skills to be able to do the job exceptionally. You need to know all about color, how to mix up texture and have a good spatial knowledge.
Benefits of Being in the Interior Design Field
This career comes with many perks and on top of it all, it is fun. Imagine bringing life and character to a space that was just four walls and a roof! Let’s have a quick look at the benefits of being in the Interior Design field:
- It brings out your creative bone. Designing and decorating needs one to have a flair of creativity and an excellent eye for detail.
- You have a wide range of fields to choose from, making this career field a flexible one. You can work with architects, in hotels, spas, residential homes and industrial places.
- You also have the option of being your own boss.You can choose to specialise in a particular niche or expand your horizons by taking different kinds of projects.
- It also is a rewarding job. You get to work with different people all the time and have a potential of making a lot of money.
How Much Can You Make in Interior Design Careers
According to Payscale, the average salary for a person in Interior Design is R17 700. As you gain experience, your earning potential also increases. This will also depend on the company you work for, how big it is and where it is located.
What Careers are in Interior Design?
There are many careers in the Interior Design field. These careers include:
What sets an Interior Designer apart from Interior Decorator is the level of education.
An interior designer usually needs to have a degree. Interior Designers design the process of decorating an interior space, be it an office or a residential home.
To get your foot into the door of Interior Design, have a look at our Interior Design Courses. Doing so will allow you to increase your credibility and give you the much needed experience while you study.
Though an interior designer can decorate, an interior decorator cannot design. Interior Decorators only deocare the space. Unlike Interior Designers, they don’t necessarily improve the functionality of the space.
Furniture designers design furniture. They can design outdoor and indoor furniture, taking into consideration style and functionality.
Skills Needed for Interior Design Careers
This job is as important as it is delicate. You need to have a particular set of skills to be able to be successful in it. Some of these skills are:
- Computer skills – If you are looking to be a designer in this day and age, you need to be able to use a computer as everything is now digital.
- Communication skills – You’ll need to be a person who can communicate clearly, a good listener and take instructions.
- Be creative – This is one of the most important skills in this field. You can’t design or decorate if you do not have a creative eye.
- Knowledge of eco-friendly practises – Most people and organizations are now practicing eco-friendly and sustainable design methods. You’ll need to be able to keep up with these.
Can you be in the Interior Design Field Without a Degree?
Some careers in Interior Design do not need you to have a degree. For example, being an Interior Decorator does not require a degree.
Skills Academy not only offers you education, it also teaches you a lot of skills that come in handy in the real life, business world. Skills like time management, handling budgets and professionalism.
Ready to Embrace Your Creativity? Start now!
Contact us and one of our consultants will take you through the process of studying with us. We go the distance so you don’t have to! Contact us now:
- Fill in our online registration form for a call back
- Call us on our toll-free number at 0800 39 0027
- Message us on Whatsapp at 082 318 8892