Gearing up for the ICB online exam? That’s great. Apart from studying, you need to get set on all the ICB online exam technical requirements. From pre-checks to internet connectivity, find out how to prepare for your exams.
What are ICB Online Exams?
The ICB online exam allows you to write at the college you’re studying with, an office, or at home. You have the freedom to choose a venue accessible to you that follows the ICB rules and policies. You need to register ahead of time if you wish to write the exam online. The ICB online exam:
- Takes place in the afternoon between 13:00 – 16:30 (three and a half hours)
- Follows the same question types as the paper-based exam
- Is invigilated
- Needs to follow specific requirements and rules
ICB Online Exam Technical Requirements
At every online exam, you need to make sure you meet all the requirements. This will help you stay up-to-date with any changes. If you choose to write an online exam, it means that you agree to meeting all the requirements. If you do not, but still wish to continue, the ICB and college will not be responsible for any issues during the exam.
- You need a stable internet connection (ethernet cable)
- 5Mbps internet download speed (fast internet)
- Up to 5GB data for the exam
- Desktop computer or laptop
- One computer screen
- Webcam with a 1280×720 resolution
- 4GB ram
- Windows 8 or 10 (Windows users)
- Mac OSX Sierra (Mac users)
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Adobe Scan
What to Avoid – Technical Requirements
Want to add your own devices? Well not so fast! Listed above are all the technical devices and software you will need, for both Mac and Windows. To avoid any technical issues during the exam, take a look at what to avoid:
- Do not use a mobile hotspot
- Don’t have less than 3GB data for the exam
- Slow internet speed
- No cell phones or tablets
- Do not use more than one computer screen
- No headphones (unless this is your only mic – notify the college)
- Do not use a financial calculator
- No other browsers permitted, only Google Chrome
Technical System Check Before the Online Exam
It is compulsory for all students to perform two technical system checks before the exam day. If you do not, you won’t be able to enter the online exam room. Make sure to do the pre-check on the desktop computer or laptop you will use during the exam. Plus, you can do the pre-check as many times as you want.
The pre-check will determine if the:
- Mic is connected
- Webcam is connected
- Image can be seen and recorded in the livestream
- Device has internet connectivity
- Internet speed is fast enough to allow live streaming
Please note: You need to set your mic, webcam and internet permissions to “allowed” on your device. Also, do a system check on the day of the exam as well. This will ensure that you are fully prepared.
ICB Online Exam Irregularities
Do these technical requirements matter? Yes they do. They ensure that you avoid any hiccups and have the best chance of success. But that’s not all. These requirements and system pre-checks help prevent irregularities during the exam. This includes cheating by using two screens. The exams are also invigilated. This ensures the integrity of the test is maintained.
Technical Support Team Available
Even if you perform a pre-check, it does not guarantee that you will not have any issues. So to make sure you get the help you need, the ICB technical support team will be available during the online exam. If you experience any issues, don’t hesitate to contact them via the live chat.
Tips to Avoid Technical and Connectivity Issues
Scared you might still run into some issues? We understand, technical issues can happen at any moment. So knowing how to troubleshoot on the exam day is important. To avoid any issues, there are a few things you can do before the exam:
- Be sure to restart your desktop computer or laptop and router before you log into the exam
- Refresh your browser when you are logged on to Macci at 13:00
- Close all background apps, programmes and tabs not in use
- Make sure webcam is set correctly
- That you have an updated version of Google Chrome
- Make sure all cookies are cleared in the browser
Skills Academy is the word support in every way.
Equip Yourself With our ICB Courses
Ready to test your knowledge and study an accredited course? Then sign up to our ICB Courses. Gain valuable skills that are internationally recognised. Want more information on getting started with us? Contact our friendly course experts today. You can:
- Call us on 0800 39 00 27 – it’s free
- Fill in our contact form for a call back