What is the Best Study Method?
Every student has different abilities and needs. Therefore, there’s no specific study method that would give them the same results. To avoid panic and exam stress, it’s important to figure out what type of learner you are and experiment with different study methods to find one that suits you best.
If you’re a visual person, using diagrams and mind maps is an excellent way to help you memorise your course work. There are multiple study methods, you just need to figure out which one will give you the best results.
How can I Improve my Memory for Studying?
There are a few lifestyle changes, exercises and systems you can put in place to help you increase your memory. If you’re worried that your memory could fail you during an exam, here’s what you can do to improve:
- Lifestyle changes – Make sure you’re well rested and get the nutrition you need. Avoid junk food and reach for healthier food options. Take study breaks, get some fresh air and do light exercises to put you in the mood and to help you stay focused.
- Use Acronyms – This is a commonly used method. You may have used this method in school. You may be familiar with BODMAS – Bracket, Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction. If you do, that shows you how effective this method is.
- Spaced Repetition – This method includes using flashcards. Quiz yourself on your coursework with the use of flashcards, and then sort them into different categories. If you can easily memorise a term on the flashcards, you can sort it into the easy pile. You can quiz yourself on the easy pile once every three weeks. This will also help you identify which areas need your attention the most.
How to Study Effectively
Want to earn how to study effectively? There are a few strategies you can implement to your daily routine help you reduce exam stress and make the most of your study time. It’s best to start implementing these strategies early to help you study effectively. Here’s what you can do to set the tone for the upcoming exam season.
Great organisational skills will help you with your studies and your career in the long run. The best thing you could do for yourself is to create a study plan or schedule. Look at your academic calendar, identify your assignment deadlines or scheduled tests and exams. Now plan your time accordingly. Set reminders on your cell phone to alert you about deadlines and when it’s time to hit the books.
Join an Online Community
A lot of people rely on group dynamics to function properly. Therefore, it would be beneficial to join a community of like-minded people to help you achieve your study goals. The best way to do that is by joining online study groups. Skills Academy in partnership with Together We Pass (TWP) created online study groups where students can interact with one another. Here you can motivate each other, share material, help with queries and more. You may also pick up skills from your group to help you study effectively.
Seek Support from Your Tutors
Your tutors and lecturers are there to provide you with the needed support to help you understand your work. If you’re stuck, ask them for assistance. At Skills Academy, we made things a bit easier for our students. Students who need immediate assistance regarding their coursework can chat with our course experts via Whatsapp.
Find or Create a Study Space
You need to work or study in a space that will inspire you to be productive. Make sure this space has a desk or table readily available to you. Sitting at a desk or table will help you stay focused. If there are too many distractions or not enough privacy at home, you can visit your local library to study or do your assignments at your favourite cafe.
Unleash Your Inner Teacher
Read through your coursework and try to simplify things for yourself, your study group or even study partner. Explain the concepts and try to connect it with real-life scenarios to make it easier to understand. Make your own study notes and practice explaining these concepts to yourself aloud. You could also create mock tests to help you prepare for final exams.
Take Advantage of all Your Resources
Your resources are there to make studying more enjoyable. Resources not only refers to reading through your student manual and textbooks, but it also means making use of the other services your college or university makes available to you. For Skills Academy students that means making use of online study groups and contacting academic support when needed. For our students enrolled in our matric programs, that means doing mock exams and downloading past exam papers.
Ready to Apply These Tips to Further Your Education?
Get in touch with one of our course experts today using one of these three methods:
- Give us a call on 0800 39 00 27 – it’s free!
- Chat to us via Whatsapp on 082 318 8892
- Or fill out this form for a call back.