To be a successful student, you will need more than brain power on your side. Especially when you are writing online exams. Writing online is an unfamiliar territory for most students, but it is important to prepare yourself to avoid any mishaps. Here are some tips on how to nail your ICB Online Exams.
When is the ICB Online Exams?
Starting April 2021, the ICB exams can be written online every second month. There are only two opportunities for distance learning students to sit down for paper-based exams. Chances are, you will HAVE to write the exams online. So make sure you check the ICB 2021 exam timetable before you book for your exams.
How to Prepare for Online Exams
Exam preparation is vital and can make or break the outcome of your results. Make sure you follow these guidelines to ensure your success.
Update and Check Your Computer
This can’t be left until the last minute. Make sure all PC or laptop updates are done and that it won’t affect your exams. The worst thing that could happen is your computer automatically updating when you have to write exams. Check that you have updated your antivirus and that you have the proper software.
Sort Out Your Internet Plan
If you always have trouble with your wifi or internet service, you might want to get that sorted out right away. By now you should have an idea of what the service delivery with your network provider is like. You don’t want to have any issues with it on the exam dates. So plan ahead. Create a hotspot with your mobile device if you must, or arrange to write somewhere else if needed.
Take Load Shedding Into Consideration
Unfortunately, being a student in South Africa means risk management and preparing for load shedding. Ahead of the exam time, check to see if the area you’re writing exams from will have load shedding scheduled. If it does, you can make alternate arrangements. You need to prepare for this, or risk being left in the dark when disaster strikes.
Get to Grips With the Exam Guidelines
Make sure you know the ins and outs of the exam guidelines. Find out where you can take the exams – ICB online exams are offered at college or can be written at home. It is important to understand the exam guidelines to avoid any hiccups or confusion. Make sure you understand the format and the formalities of the exams too.
Make Arrangements With Roommates and Family
Chances are you don’t live alone. If that is the case you, need to make arrangements with your roommates or family members. Check your exam timetable to look at the dates. Once you’ve confirmed your dates, sit down to discuss alternate arrangements. If you have kids, you might want to arrange an au pair, nanny or get your partner to take care of them.
Useful Exam Study Tips
There are a few things you could do to help you prepare for the big day. Studying for online exams is no different from paper-based exams. The only difference is for the online exams you need to be computer-literate.
- Start Early – There’s a reason why study tips or guides always say that you should start early. This is a crucial step and could only benefit you. Studying early means you can cover the curriculum.
- Use Online Study Groups – Online study groups are there for a reason. So make use of them and the other resources available to you. Connect with students online, who knows they might have some hacks you could use.
- Maximise Your Brain Power – There’s so much more to studying than being able to recite what you’ve learnt like a parrot. Practice memorising dates, pictures, graphs and names. Quiz yourself. Try to solve problems and work through exercises too.
Technical Considerations for The ICB Exam
You can take the exam at home, office or at college. But it’s your responsibility to make sure that you have the right equipment and resources to write. Here are some of the technical requirements you need to consider before you write your exam.
Curb Exam Anxieties
Exams can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. It’s not easy. Especially if you already deal with stress or anxiety. But there are a few things you could do to alleviate the pressure.
- Avoid Cheating at all Costs – All the time and energy wasted on cheating could’ve gone into preparing for exams. Although cheating seems easy, it also takes up a lot of effort and you may run out of time doing so. Cheating also makes you anxious and comes with guilt.
- Practice Breathing Exercises – Ever noticed how focusing on you breathing calms you down and makes you feel more relaxed? Whenever you feel stressed or anxious because of studying for exams, just take a moment and practice breathing exercises to make you feel relaxed.
- Stick to a Balanced Diet – You don’t have to break the bank to eat a balanced meal. Instead cut a few unnecessary stuff out of your diet and opt for things that have nutritional value. Trade that packet of chips for a sandwich, and that cup of coffee for tea.
- Make Time for You – Reward yourself with some down time, but don’t over indulge. Relax with a book, watch a movie, or create art. Sometimes grooming and hygiene goes out the window when we are stressed. Remember – when you look good you feel good. So make time for pampering.
If you are struggling with internal factors and need someone to talk to, you may visit the SADAG for more information.
Choose The College That Puts YOU First
At Skills Academy we always put our students first. We have a lot of amazing benefits and policies like ‘don’t pay when you can’t study’ to help students take some time off and manage their stress. Make the switch and choose us!
- Call us on 0800 39 00 27
- Or fill out the contact form to learn more