A day care teacher instructs children (normally up to 5 years of age) in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. They provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play and attend to children’s basic needs by feeding them, dressing them, and changing their diapers. They should also be able to teach basic skills such as color, shape, number and letter recognition, personal hygiene, and social skills, establish and enforce rules for behavior, and procedures for maintaining order, read books to entire classes or to small groups and organise and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development, such as games, arts and crafts, music, storytelling, and field trips.
Interested in becoming a day care teacher?
Try one of these courses
- Skills Academy Short Course Certificate in Child Day Care
- Skills Academy Certificate in Child Day Care
- Skills Academy Advanced Certificate in Child Day Care
- Skills Academy Short Course Certificate in Crèche Management
- Skills Academy Proficiency Certificate in Crèche Management
- Skills Academy Skills Certificate in Crèche Management
Last updated: October 25th 2016