Can I complete CIMA in one year? Yes, you can complete the CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting in one year. This is the entry-level qualification given by CIMA. The amount of time it will take you to complete your course depends on how hard you work when you take your exams.
What is CIMA?
CIMA is a professional body of management accountants that is recognised around the world. The CIMA qualifications provide knowledge and skills in the business and finance industry.
CIMA prepares you to become a professional management accountant, with the knowledge and skills which employers are looking for to work well in business.
CIMA Qualifications and the Length of Each Course
CIMA has different levels of qualifications, each level has a time limit in which you need to complete it.
Completing your CIMA Certificate does not mean that you are fully qualified as a management accountant, it takes more than that. You need to complete and pass all of CIMA’s Professional Qualifications objective tests (exams) and pass the case study exams. Let’s have a look at all CIMA qualifications.
CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting
The table below will give you a quick summary of each CIMA qualification and if you can complete the CIMA qualification in one year.
- Entry-level qualification created to get knowledge on the business and finance industry
- Made to help you build a good understanding of business basics, management, and the basics of management accounting.
- CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting (NQF Level 5)
- Qualification letters – CIMA Cert BA
12 – 18 months
Can you Complete it in one Year?
Yes, if you fully commit to your studies and are a fast learning student, then you can finish it in one year.
CIMA Professional Qualification
The CIMA Professional Qualification is divided into three levels.
- CIMA Diploma in Management Accounting
- NQF Level 6
- Qualification Letters – CIMA Dip MA
- First level of the CIMA Professional Qualifications
- Knowledge on business strategy and management skills
- Learn how to use strategy as a tool and also how to report on it
- CIMA Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting
- NQF Level 6
- Qualification letters – CIMA Adv Dip MA
- Second level of the CIMA Professional Qualifications
- Learn how strategy is created and used in the short and medium-term
- CIMA Diploma in Management Accounting
- NQF Level 7
- Qualification letters – ACMA or CGMA
- Final level to complete
- Focuses on strategy over a long-term period
- Apply for CIMA membership after you have completed your Strategic level case study exams.
CIMA Professional Level Suggested Study Time
The CIMA professional qualification can take 3 – 6 years to finish. There are 12 exams to be completed which include nine objective tests and 3 case study exams.
According to CIMA, students usually do 12 professional qualification exams in 4 years.
How Difficult is it to Study a CIMA Qualification?
CIMA qualifications can seem difficult to pass, but it is not impossible. CIMA needs to be sure that you know how to apply the knowledge and skills to real-life situations, so they test you on it.
Always register for your exams once you’ve finished with a subject. Taking it sooner will give you enough time to prepare for the next one, making studying easier.
Benefits of Studying With CIMA
Employers all around the world know how good CIMA qualifications are. They are looking for people trained in the type of skills and knowledge that CIMA qualifications offer.
You can apply for CIMA membership (after you have completed your strategic level case study exam) and become part of a group full of like-minded people in management accounting.
Here are some more benefits of studying with CIMA:
- CIMA qualifications can lead to higher pay
- CIMA qualifications can lead to bigger bonuses
- a CIMA qualification is proof of your management accounting skills
As a CIMA student, you can forming part of the CIMA membership organisation for management accountants.
How to Apply for CIMA Membership?
You can only apply for membership when you have finished your professional qualification and gained three years of practical experience. Once you have applied, they will have a look at your application to see if you gained enough practical experience to become a member.
Being a CIMA Member will give you these benefits.
- You can use the Associate Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA) and Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) after your name as qualification letters.
- Having the letters ACMA and CGMA really adds to your respect as a business professional and shows you have skills and experience.
- You get access to expert advice from leaders in the business field.
- You get to follow a set of standards that help you to deliver high standard services.
CIMA and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) joined together to form the CGMA. Forming part of this group will give you access to many benefits and services. It includes being part of an online community and having access to reports, research, tools and so much more. This community connects with the best of the best in management accounting, the CGMA helps you to lead in your career.
To find out more about CGMA, you can visit their website.
Get Started With CIMA
Before you get started with CIMA, you need to decide how you would like to study and where. Many training providers like Skills Academy, are accredited to offer the CIMA courses in South Africa.
You have the opportunity to choose your way of studying. The study options include:
- home study and distance learning
1. Full Time
Studying full time means that you will go to class every day. The biggest benefits here are having a lecturer to make sure you fully understand and the fact that this will be your main focus with not many things to take your focus away from your studies. Class times usually start at eight in the morning.
2. Part Time
Part-time studies are great for people who would like to study and work at the same time. The classes are usually in the evenings or on weekends.
3. Home Study and Distance Learning
Both ways of studying are helpful if you would like to study and work at the same time.
Study at your own pace, with your study material delivered to you. It is one of the cheapest ways to study.
This style of learning is similar to home study. It also includes the benefit of having your books delivered to you and adds on the assistance of tutors.
Online studies could be full time or part-time. An example of this would be when you need to watch a webinar every day or getting your information from a lecturer via email.
How to Register for CIMA?
You have the option to either register directly with CIMA or with a training provider.
The five steps listed below will get you started with CIMA.
- Choose a CIMA qualification.
- Decide on your method of study, for example, distance learning.
- Register with CIMA.
- Apply for exemptions if needed.
- Make payment and plan your exams.
Skills Academy is the word support in every way.
How Much can I Earn Once I am Qualified With CIMA?
There are a lot of things which can affect your salary. You need to look at your career path (what you would like to become), your skills, the city you work in and the company where you are going to work.
Have a look at the following websites to see what your salary might look like.
Don’t forget to add your career path and the skills you have.
Start Your Journey With us Today
Ready to start your career as an accountant? Then look no further. Our CIMA Courses will help you make that dream a reality. Contact our course experts for more details. You can:
- Call us on 0800 39 00 27
- Fill in our contact form for a call back