Skills Academy – Bookkeeper Job Description
A Bookkeeper’s job description depends on the size of the establishment that he or she works for. In a small business, one bookkeeper manages all the finances and records all financial activities. In a bigger business, there will be too much work for one person to handle, and the tasks will then be split up between accountants, senior bookkeepers and junior bookkeepers.
If a career in bookkeeping is something you want to consider, here are the tasks that you have to be ready to perform when you qualify:
- Recording daily financial activity (income and expenditure).
- Managing payments and charges and preparing statements thereof.
- Preparing monthly reports.
- Breakeven analysis.
- Preparing year-end adjustments.
- Writing internal reports for accountants and auditors.
- Managing payroll.
- Doing inventory.
- Ordering supplies as needed.
- Preparing annual statements for external auditors.
- Managing petty cash.
- Billing clients and paying vendors.
- Reconciling bank statements.
- Assisting with administrative and clerical tasks.
- Tracking and managing accounts receivable and accounts payable.
What practical skills do bookkeepers have?
- Numerical skills. Bookkeepers spend most of their time working with figures, and may be required to do financial calculations.
- Analytical skills. Bookkeepers have to record financial data and verify it to make sure there are no inconsistencies.
- Communication skills. You will need to be able to communicate with vendors, clients, financial managers, accountants and auditors.
- Organisational skills. Bookkeepers have to make sure that payments are made and received on time, that the business does not overspend, that supplies are ordered on time, etc. All these things ensure the smooth running of the business, and if they are not done properly the company will be negatively affected.
- Budgeting skills. Budgeting is a big part of the job, and these skills may come in handy in your personal life as well.
If the prospect of a bookkeeping career sounds interesting to you, and you would like to find out more, please fill in the contact form below and one of our friendly Student Consultants will contact you shortly: