The term alternative school refers to non-traditional ways of learning. There are many reasons why students may opt for alternative schooling options. For some the demand of attending classes on a fixed schedule, having to complete coursework within a specific time and manage their social life may cause stress, anxiety and many other issues.
Types of Alternative Schooling
Traditional schooling is not always for everyone. People learn differently and being in a classroom might not be the fit for you. If you are looking into alternative schooling options, these are some of your options:
The internet has improved dramatically over the years, making access to education easier. Online learning means your schooling will take place online. Some colleges may still require you to attend classes sometimes, but most, if not all, your work will happen via the internet. Your lecturers, assignments and coursework will be available online.
Blended learning or dual education is a combination of online learning and traditional learning. You will attend class during a scheduled time and thereafter complete your work and submit it online. Class weeks will vary depending on the institution you are studying at. Some colleges may expect you to attend block class once a semester and some once a month.
Distance learning is similar to online learning. Your learning will take place online, however your course material will be sent to you. Unlike online learning, with distance learning you do not need to follow a fixed schedule. You can work as fast or slow as you want and schedule your studies on your time. This gives you more freedom to plan your studies accordingly.
Each option of alternative schooling should be looked into and researched. This way you will know what works best for you. The great thing about distance learning is that it takes away most of the stressors associated with higher education. There is no pressure to attend class or work according to a fixed schedule.
Importance of Alternative Education
The world is moving away from traditional ways of learning. This is why alternative schooling options are becoming more important. Alternative education prepares students for a changing world, where you will need technological and vocational skills to thrive. Not convinced yet? With alternative education:
- Students get the opportunity to improve their self-esteem
- You get to choose a method of learning that works for you.
- Alternative education encourages individual growth.
- Schedules are more flexible
- A wider variety of courses and programs to choose from
- Provides a safe environment for students with mental health issues
- Because of flexible schedule learners with learning barriers are more likely to succeed
We at Skills Academy truly believe that learning is for all. We know that for many people education is the only method that will improve their life circumstances. Alternative schooling gives all students, from all walks of life, to access learning and improve their skills.
Alternative Education in South Africa
Alternative learning in South Africa is growing in leaps and bounds. Students realise the value of non-traditional ways of learning, and today there are more credible options available then say ten years ago. Some of these are:
- Correspondence learning, which is also known as Distance Learning
- Online School
- Internships or Learnership Programs
Skills Academy is a great alternative schooling option. We are a recognised distance learning college that offers accredited and skills focused courses. We want to open the doors of learning for all and our provider programs have no specific entry requirements. This means anyone can enrol – regardless of age or current qualification. Your success is our priority and we will ensure you finish your course in time and with the best possible results. Here are some more reasons you should study with us:
- No classes – study from the comfort of your home
- Affordable Education – cut the costs on travelling fees and textbooks with us
- Online Support – you don’t have to do this alone. Our Online Platforms with Together we Pass will give you that sense of community
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee – feeling unhappy with our services? No problem. Get your money back within 30 days of registering with us.
- Open Access – this means anyone can enrol into our courses. Regardless of age or current qualifications.
There are just a few of our benefits. With our range of courses you will definitely find something that fits your needs.
Learning That Works for all.
Tired of feeling like the education system has let you down? Choose a college that will put you and your needs first. Contact us today.
- Complete our cotact form
- Call us on our toll-free number at 0800 39 0027